New legislation requires a Carbon Monoxide detector to be installed in the room for all new or replacement solid fuel appliances.
Carbon Monoxide ( CO ) is an odourless and invisible poisonous gas that inhibits the bloods capacity to carry oxygen and so can be fatal when inhaled. Carbon Monoxide is often referred to as the "silent killer" because it is virtually undetectable without using detection technology. High levels of CO can be dangerous to humans. Smaller concentrations can be harmful over longer periods of time.
It is produced burning fuel such as oil, petrol, gas, coal or charcoal using incorrectly installed unventilated or faulty fuel-burning device including space heaters, water heaters and blocked chimneys.
CO detectors measure CO levels over time and sound an alarm before dangerous levels of CO accumulate. This gives people adequate warning to ventilate the area and repair the source of the Carbon Monoxide.